Tyson Lockhart: Respiratory Therapy Alum shining thousands of miles from his Georgia State University Roots

Posted On January 5, 2013
Categories Alumni, Alumni Spotlight

112233Tyson Lockhart (BS, Respiratory Therapy, 2010), is the Clinical Resource Specialist at St. Mary’s Hospital, a 450 bed facility in Western Colorado. On top of orienting new hires; educating the staff on procedures, equipment, and across disciplines; and ordering equipment; Lockhart is in charge of implementing new standards of care and protocols in order to allow RTs more freedom in their jobs.

Lockhart began his career at Grady Memorial Hospital before he began to take travel assignments to high-needs hospitals. One assignment brought Lockhart to his current position at St. Mary’s.

“I was impressed enough (and impressed enough people I guess) that they offered me the CRS position if I would stay. It’s unheard of for me to be in a position like this with my experience, but an exception was made,” says Lockhart.

Lockhart recently received the Bright Spot award from St. Mary’s, an award bestowed for outstanding patient care. For his success, Lock1122334hart credits the high standards GSU holds for its RTs, noting that these standards allowed him to graduate from his program years ahead of his peers and with more confidence and capabilities than some experienced therapists.

In particular, Lockhart thanks RT professors Chip Zimmerman and Doug Gardenhire for his success.

“Both worked closely with me as a student. Any question, no matter how detailed or overly theoretical, they found answers for me. I’m sure I challenged them a bit, but I think we all learned from it,” says Lockhart, who still is in contact with both professors.

When Lockhart is not at St. Mary’s, he takes advantage of the outdoor scene Colorado has to offer—Lockhart enjoys mountain biking, skiing, climbing, hiking, kayaking, and rafting.

Lockhart leaves current RT program students with the following words of wisdom: know who the experts are and to stick close to them, know patient signs and symptoms, and know how the patient’s “non-respiratory” condition affects his/her breathing.