Marissa Moore: A Moment with Nutrition Alumna and Academy Spokesperson

Posted On January 30, 2013
Categories Alumni, Alumni Spotlight

marisaWhy did you choose nutrition as your profession, and what led to you compliment it with a degree in business administration?

I have always liked science. Nutrition combines my passion for teaching with my love of food.

Getting the MBA was a natural fit, as I always knew I would be self-employed one day. My MBA concentration is in marketing, which benefits my business, but also helps me understand how and why consumers make decisions about the food they eat.

Tell us about the scope of your work in nutrition.

I write, serve as talent in educational videos, speak, and consult. I work with companies, groups and individuals to improve health outcomes in weight management and chronic disease prevention. I got my start in diabetes education, so my expertise is primarily in heart health, weight management, and general wellness. I also work with restaurants and food companies to do nutrient analysis, recipe development, and healthy promotions.

I especially enjoy being in front of the camera, creating educational videos on a variety of food and nutrition topics. I also enjoy conducting workshops. I love engaging with an audience and seeing the light bulb go on when I provide information they can use to improve their health.

Being a dietitian has served me well, as I feed my desire to do something different as often as I like. No two days are quite the same.

What do you do in your daily role as a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics?

I am a volunteer spokesperson for the Acadmarisa2emy of Nutrition and Dietetics. I am one of 30 registered dietitians representing over 75,000 thousand members.

As a spokesperson, I am regularly called upon by the media to separate fact from fiction and deliver credible nutrition information to the public. Being a spokesperson means that I can go from a normal day at work to being on the 6:00 p.m. news, commenting on the latest study about Metabolic Syndrome and diet or why XYZ Corporation decided to eliminate sugary beverages from its workplace. I may even spend several hours preparing for an appearance on CNN or Good Day Atlanta.

I have been featured in hundreds of interviews across all media outlets, from TV, to radio, to print. Serving in this role has been the highlight of my career. It keeps me on my toes!

What are some the most interesting media calls you have received?

I am often approached regarding current food and nutrition trends—the Paleo diet, coconut oil, and anti-inflammatory foods diet are all hot right now. I recently did a six week series with CNN all about creating healthy habits.

Why is nutrition such an important field for the media?

The internet is ripe with food and nutrition misinformation. Every day, there is a new study that catches the media’s attention. Registered dietitians can go beyond the headline. We can interpret those studies to help the public understand what it really means.

How did Georgia State prepare you for this successful career? Are there any faculty member(s) whom you would like to recognize?

I hesitate to name names because so many GSU faculty members have supported and encouraged me along the way and still today! I started my college career as a chemical engineering major at Georgia Tech—in high school everyone told me I was good in math and science and that being an engineer made the most sense. Right?! A couple years and an internship later, I realized I really didn’t enjoy the engineering side of things and sought a better match. That was nutrition at GSU.

Dr. Chris Rosenbloom, Barb Hopkins, Dr. Missy Cody and Cathy McCarroll have all played a key role in my success to date.

What do you do when you are not working?

I love to travel to different countries to experience the culture through food. Salsa dancing is my favorite activity, but I supplement it with biking, hiking and an occasional run. My newest hobby is a 4×4 garden in my backyard. I have enjoyed everything from the research about soil, seeds, and planting to the care and harvest of the plants. I am excited to see the harvest this season.

What are your future plans?

My business is in its infancy (only one year old), so stay tuned as it grows.

Any words of wisdom for our students in our program?

• Network.
  • The field is small. Never burn a bridge.
  • Let your clamarissa1ssmates, professors, friends and family know what you want to do. Sometimes it’s about who knows you, not just who you know.