Regena Spratling: A Passion of Children’s Health Drives Georgia State Nursing Alumna and Instructor

Posted On January 30, 2013
Categories Alumni, Alumni Spotlight

spratlingThe birth of her son awakened a life-long passion for nursing and forged a career in pediatrics for Regena Spratling (M.S., Ph.D.; Nursing; 2003 and 2011).

“I was fascinated with the medical and nursing aspects of pregnancy and childbirth,” says Spratling.

Her initial plans were to be an adult cardiac intensive care unit nurse, but her interests changed when she began pediatric nursing courses. In spite of the sometimes long and difficult hours, Spratling enjoyed every minute of her time in her nursing studies and especially appreciated the Georgia State nursing program’s focus on knowledge and the application of knowledge. She says the faculty members, many of whom are her peers today, are experts in their fields and maintain high expectations for themselves, their students, and their peers.

“I would be remiss if I did not mention Dr. Myra Carmon, as faculty and coordinator for the pediatric nurse practitioner program and my dissertation chair. She is tirelessly devoted to the care of children, the profession, the community, and her friends and family,” says Spratling.

The double Panther currently teaches and coordinates Georgia State’s pediatric nurse practitioner program. Spratling’s passion and experience is in the care of infants, children, and adolescents.

“I love teaching what I enjoy and what I know. I love to share stories with students from my experiences, and I love to hear their stories in caring for children,” says Spratling.

In addition to the education Spratling offers nursing students, she also contributes significant research to the school. Following graduation from nursing school, Spratling worked in a technology dependent unit, caring for children with tracheostomies, ventilators, feeding tubes, and other medical technologies. She later returned to school to earn a master’s degree and worked as a pediatric nurse practitioner before becoming a nurse educator. Spratling’s main interest lies in the experiences of children once they are discharged from the hospital.

“This need for care and technology continues after discharge from the hospital. I am interested in their experience outside of the hospital and how health care providers can best serve the needs of these children and their families,” she says.

When Spratling is not working as a nursing educator and researcher, she enjoys spending time with her family. She attends concerts and festivals with her husband and often meets her son, a Georgia Tech student, for dinner after work. Spratling also enjoys leisure reading and discussing a wide variety of books with her book club.

Spratling tells current nursing students to allow for adequate study time, but also to make time for themselves, family, and friends.

“The time spent relaxing will refresh and rejuvenate you, making the study time more effective,” says Spratling.