Physical Therapy, Doctor of Physical Therapy
Print/Download Application Materials and Forms
Application Instructions and Forms
The Physical Therapy Program does not require a Writing Sample, Curriculum Vitae, Resume or Letter of Recommendations.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program is an entry-level professional program for the student who holds a baccalaureate degree in any field of study. The degree must be completed prior to matriculation into the DPT program and should be in a student’s area of interest.
October 1, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time
Fall November 15, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time
The Division of Physical Therapy’s admissions process begins August 1st. Only completed application packets received between August 1st and November 15th will be considered for admission.
Complete application packets received after November 15th will be considered on a space-available basis. Contact the Office of Academic Assistance (404-413-1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
A complete packet includes an application and supplemental information:
- Application and $50.00 application fee (On-line preferred). The application includes:
- Application for graduate study at Georgia State
- Application for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program
- Documentation of Physical Therapy Experience form
- Residency form
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION (collect and submit items 2-5 in a single packet to the address provided at the bottom of the page)
- Two sealed transcripts from each college or university attended
- Photocopy of your GRE scores
- Prerequisite Form (5 of the nine courses must be completed by August of the year in which you apply)
- The Documentation of Physical Therapy Experience Form (A minimum of 80 hours of practical experience in a PT setting through volunteering, observing, or working is required)
- Certificate of Immunization
The following section provides detail and links to the required APPLICATION and SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION.
APPLY TO THE PROGRAM
- APPLICATION: APPLY ONLINE
Submit your application for graduate study through the ApplyYourself online application service. In order to create your account and submit your graduate application through Embark, please go to Apply online through ApplyYourself.
Your application for graduate study, which includes your Doctor of Physical Therapy program application and Residency status, and your $50.00 application fee will be submitted online.
We recommend that you complete your application on-line.
You may check the status of your application online by choosing “Admissions Status” at student.gosolar.gsu.edu. Please allow three weeks after submitting your application to check its status. If you are unable to access your application status, please contact the Office of Academic Assistance.
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS TO BE SUBMITTED
The School uses a self-managed application for admission to its graduate programs. This means that it is your responsibility to prepare or collect all credentials other than official test scores and submit them at one time to the Office of Academic Assistance.
A self-managed application requires appropriate planning on your part to allow time for you to prepare the applications properly and collect all of your transcript and recommendations. This process, however, also gives you control over when your application is complete. It eliminates the need for concern over lost or misdirected applications, transcripts or recommendations.
Do not submit an incomplete application packet. Incomplete packets will not be considered for admission.
We strongly suggest that you maintain your own records by keeping a copy of your application and ordering duplicate copies of transcripts and recommendation letters.
- Two transcripts from each college and/or university attended, except from Georgia State University. If you have attended Georgia State University in an undergraduate status, all transcripts, except Georgia State’s, must be sent; these transcripts are not available for our use. Transcripts are required regardless of length of stay or if the grades are listed on another school’s transcript. Transcripts must include your most recent grades. If you submit your transcript before fall semester grades are posted, you will need to send a second transcript after those grades are available.
You will collect and submit all unopened transcripts. If needed, Transcript Request forms can be downloaded.
If you are enrolled in another graduate program at Georgia State University, you may complete a Request for Transfer of Records in your current college's graduate admissions office. If you have attended Georgia State University in an undergraduate status, all transcripts, except Georgia State’s, must be sent; these transcripts are not available for our use.
Cumulative GPA of 3.0 recommended
- Photocopy of your GRE score. The score should be sent directly to Georgia State University from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Scores cannot be more than five years old from the desired semester of entry. We recommend that you take the GRE no later than two months prior to the application deadline. The correct institution code for Georgia State University is 5251. A department code is not used. If you have an official copy of your GRE scores, please send a photocopy with your application. While a photocopy is not acceptable for admission and we must still receive official scores from ETS, a photocopy can help expedite the processing of your application. Visit the GRE website at http://www.gre.org/ or call 1-800-GRE-CALL for information and registration.
A minimum combined score of 1000 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Exam is required. A minimum score of 400 is required on the verbal section. A minimum of 3.5 is required on the Analytical Writing section.
- Pre-requisite form: Include all attempts for all pre-requisite courses. You will calculate the GPA using the calculator provided. The +/- system must NOT be used in calculating pre-requisite GPA. Print the form and add to your packet. You MUST complete 5 of the 9 pre-requisite courses by August of the year in which you apply.
Pre-requisite GPA of 3.0 is required.
The Documentation of Physical Therapy Experience Form: A minimum of 80 hours of practical experience in a PT setting through volunteering, observing, or working is required. A completion of 40 of the 80 hours is required prior to application submission. This practical experience must be in at least two different physical therapy settings. The 80 hours may be split in any combination, provided a minimum of 20 hours is spent in each setting.
- Certificate of Immunization: This is required for accepted applicants who have never attended Georgia State University. If admitted, you must submit this form to Georgia State University Health Services prior to registration. The form can be printed from www.gsu.edu/health.
The following items are required for some applicants:
- Foreign Student Financial Statement (for international applicants seeking a student visa). See International Applicants document.
- Official TOEFL score (for applicants whose native language is not English). If available, please include a copy of your TOEFL score in your application packet.
- International credential evaluation (for applicants who have completed any education outside the U.S.). See International Applicants document.
Office of Academic Assistance
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3995
Atlanta, GA 30302-3995
Overnight Courier- UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc:
Office of Academic Assistance
Georgia State University
140 Decatur Street, Suite 811
Atlanta, GA 30303
If you have questions, please contact us at 404-413-1000 or email@example.com