- Ph.D., Human Service Studies and Nutrition
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York (1980)
B.S., Nutrition and Foods ,
SUNY at Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, New York (1971)
A.S., Food Service Administration
SUNY at Canton, Canton, New York (1968)
- Advanced Sports Nutrition
Nutrition and Health
Nutrition and Metabolism
Nutrition and Physical Fitness
Nutrition Research Methods
Journal Articles (2008-2014)-Published and Accepted
- Benardot D, Zimmermann W, Cox GR, and Marks S. Nutritional recommendations for divers. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (Accepted 1/14 for publication 6/14)
- Robertson S, Benardot D, and Mountjoy M. Nutritional recommendations for synchronized swimming. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (Accepted 2/14 for publication 6/14)
- Benardot D. Energy thermodynamics revisited: Energy intake strategies for optimizing athlete body composition and performance. Journal of Exercise Science and Health 2013; 11(2): 1-13.
- Green MS, Doyle JA, Ingalls CP, Benardot D, Rupp JC, and Corona BT. Adaptation of insulin-resistance indicators to a repeated bout of eccentric exercise in human skeletal muscle. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 2010, 17:1-10.
- Triplett D, Doyle JA, Rupp JC, Benardot D. An isocaloric glucose-fructose beverage’s effect on simulated 100-km cycling performance compared with a glucose-only beverage. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 2010; 20:122-131.
- Pullen PR, Thompson WR, Benardot D, Brandon LJ, Mehta PK, Rifai L, Vadnais DS, Parrott JM, Khan BV. Benefits of yoga for African American heart failure patients. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2010; 42(4):651-657.
- Shendell DG, Jewett A, McCarty F, Zimmerman R, Goodfellow LT, Martin DE, Benardot D, Witteveen MZ, MS; O’Dea NK, and Ari A. Measured versus self-reported BMI of recreational endurance athletes: Health implications. Marathon & Beyond 2009; 13(4): 62-72.
- Asal NR, Theis RP, Dolwick Grieb SM, Burr D, Benardot D, and Siddiqui T. Obesity, body composition, and risk of renal cell carcinoma: a population-based case-control study. International Journal of Health Science 2009; 2(1):167-175.
- Dolwick-Grieb SM, Theis RP, Burr D, Benardot D, Siddiqui T, and Asal NR. Food groups and renal cell carcinoma: Results from a case-control study. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009; 109:656-667. (Refereed)
- Papadopoulos C, Doyle J, Rupp,J, Brandon L, Benardot D, and Thompson WR. The effect of hypohydration on the lactate threshold in a hot and humid environment. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 2008; 48:293-299.
- Pullen PR, Nagamia SH, Mehta PK, Thompson WR, Benardot D, Sola S, Hammoud R, Parrot JM, and Khan BV. Effects of yoga on inflammation and exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure, 2008; 14:407-413.
- Koenig CA, Benardot D, Cody M, and Thompson W. Comparison of Creatine Monohydrate and Carbohydrate supplementation on Repeated Jump Height Performance. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2008; 22(4):1081-1086. (Refereed)
Book Chapters (2008-2014)
- Benardot D and Thompson WR. Chapter 6: Nutrition and Human Performance. IN: Bushman BA (Ed) “ACSM’s Resources for the Personal Trainer”, 4th Edition. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: New York. © 2014, pp. 158-191. (Book Chapter)
- Benardot D. Chapter 49: Gymnastics. IN: Maughan RJ (Ed) “Sports Nutrition: Volume XIX of the Encyclopaedia of Sports Medicine, an IOC Medical Commission Publication. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.: London. © 2014, pp. 596-606. (Book Chapter)
- Benardot D and Thompson WR. “Chapter 6: Nutrition”. In: Thompson WR and Baldwin KE (Eds). “ACSM’s Resources for the Personal Trainer, 3rd Edition”. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: New York. © 2010, pp: 154-185. (Book Chapter)
- Benardot D. “Advanced Sports Nutrition-2nd Edition”, Human Kinetics Publishers: Champagne, IL. © 2012, 411 Pages.
Professional Service Activities:
American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, Olympic and Paralympic Committee
- Member, International Affairs Committee
Journal Manuscript Reviewer
- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism
- British Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Health Education Research
- ACSM Health & Fitness Journal
- Obesity Research
- Advisory Board, Whey Protein-National Dairy Council, Chicago, IL
- Editorial Board, ACSM Health & Fitness Journal
- Editorial Board, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Scientific Advisor, NutriTiming LLC (NutriTiming.com)
- Advisory Board, Titus Sports
US Figure Skating
- Member, Sports Medicine and Sports Science Committee
- National Team Nutritionist
Awards and Honors:
- International Excellence Award. Awarded by Georgia State University, Office of International Affairs, in recognition of significant contributions in promoting international education. (2007)
- Honorary Doctorate. Awarded by Marywood University in recognition of accomplishments in the area of Sports Nutrition. (2002)
- Recognition of Service Awards Presented by the American Dietetic Association in recognition of service as a member of the Annual Meeting Program Committee. (3 Awards: 1997, 1998, and 1999)
- Outstanding Educator Award. Presented by USA Gymnastics at Annual Congress and Olympic Trials, Boston, MA, June 1996.
- Alumni Honor Roll. Presented by the State University of New York (System) in Albany, New York. November, 1995
- SCAN Achievement Award. Presented by the Sports and Cardiovascular Nutrition (SCAN) practice group of The American Dietetic Association, San Diego, California. April, 1993
- Who’s Who in American Education, 1992-1993 Edition. The National Reference Institute, Chicago, IL.
- Recognition of Service Award. Presented by The American Dietetic Association in Recognition of Service as a Site Visitor for the Council on Education Division of Education Accreditation/Approval from 1988 through 1991. October 1991.
- Outstanding Service Award. Presented by The American Dietetic Association in Recognition of Service on the Affirmative Action Committee of the House of Delegates from 1988 through 1990. October, 1990.
- Masters of Innovation Award. (2nd Place) Presented by Zenith Data Systems for development of a computer software package submitted in a national competition. May, 1989.
- Outstanding Merit Award. Presented by the Intersorority Council of Georgia State University. March 6, 1989