Ph.D., Experimental Medicine, University of British Columbia
M.A., Physical Education, Specialization – Exercise Physiology, McGill University
B.Ed., Physical Education, McGill University
Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist – American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM-RCEP)
Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist (RPFT), National Board for Respiratory Care
Pulmonary function testing (Diffusing capacity for CO and NO)
Pulmonary gas exchange
CO and NO inhalation
- Flaherty J.M., Smoliga J.M., Zavorsky G.S. (2014). The effect of increased physical activity on pulmonary diffusing capacity in unfit women. Exp Physiol 99(3) 562-570.
- Zavorsky G.S., Milne E.N.C., Lavorini F., Rienzi, J.P., Straub A.M., Pistolesi M. (2014). Interstitial lung edema triggered by marathon running. Respir Physiol Neurobiol 190 (1) 137-141.
- Zavorsky G.S., Milne E.N., Lavorini F., Rienzi J.P., Cutrufello P.T., Kumar S.S., Pistolesi, M. (2014). Small changes in lung function in runners with marathon-induced interstitial lung edema. Physiol Rep 2(6) e12056. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12056.
- Zavorsky G.S., Tesler, J., Rucker J., Fedorko L., Duffin J., Fisher J.A., (2014). Rates of carbon monoxide elimination in males and females. Physiol Rep 2(12) e12237. doi: 14814/phy2.12237.
- Zavorsky G.S (2013). The rise in carboxyhemoglobin from repeated pulmonary diffusing capacity tests. Respir Physiol Neurobiol 186: 103-108.
- Bernhardt V., Lorenzo S., Babb T.G., Zavorsky, G.S. (2013). Corrected end-tidal PCO2 accurately estimates arterial PCO2 at rest and during exercise in the morbidly obese. Chest 143(2) 471-477.
- Zavorsky G.S., Smoliga, J.M., Longo L.L., Uhranowsky K.A., Cadman C.R., Duffin J., Fisher J.A. (2012). Increased carbon monoxide clearance during exercise in humans. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 44: 2118-2124.
- Zaouter, C., Zavorsky G.S. (2012). The measurement of carboxyhemoglobin and methemoglobin using a non-invasive pulse CO-oximeter. Respir Physiol Neurobiol, 182: 88-92.
- Discrepancies in the field of lung diffusion measurement: reasons and possible solutions.” European Respiratory Society in Barcelona, Spain, (Sept 11th, 2013). The symposium was titled “Will the combination of TLNO (transfer factor for nitric oxide) and TLCO be more useful in pulmonary function testing that TLCO alone?”
Lifevantage Corporation (July 2014 – July 2015), $165,000, the effects of Protandim supplementation on oxidative stress and endurance performance
American Association of Respiratory Care
American College of Sports Medicine
American Physiological Society
National Strength and Conditioning Association
European College of Sport Science
American College of Sports Medicine, Research Awards Committee (2013 – present)
Editorial Board Member, Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology (2010 – present)
Awards and Honors
Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM), November 2014
3x Boston Marathon Qualifier
1996 Canadian Olympic Trials Qualifier – 800-m
<a href=”http://snhp.gsu.edu/files/2015/09/CV_Zavorsky.pdf”>Curriculum Vitae </a>