Georgia State University
Louisiana State University
Graduate School of Nursing
New Orleans, LA
Louisiana State University
School of Nursing
New Orleans, LA
IJ Goldberg School of Nursing
Mount Sinai Medical Center
Oncology nurse since 1980 and Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist from 1987-2012. Cared for oncology patients in inpatient, outpatient, and home hospice settings. Provided education for oncology nurses and evaluated nurses’ competency related to chemotherapy administration.
Occupational hazardous drug exposure of nurses and other health care workers.
Connor, T. H., Lawson, C. C., Polovich, M., & McDiarmid, M. A. (2014). Reproductive health risks associated with occupational exposures to antineoplastic drugs in health care settings: A review of the evidence. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 56(9), 901-910. (refereed)
Friese, C. R., McArdle, C., Zhoe, T., Sun, D., Spasojevic, I., Polovich, M., & McCullagh, M. (2014). Antineoplastic drug exposure in an ambulatory setting: A pilot study. Cancer Nursing, e-pub ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000143. (refereed)
Neuss, M. N., Polovich, M., McNiff, K., Esper, P., Gilmore, T., LeFebvre, K. B., . . . Jacobson, J. (2013). 2013 Updated American Society of Clinical Oncology / Oncology Nursing Society chemotherapy administration safety standards including standards for the safe administration and management of oral chemotherapy. Oncology Nursing Forum, 40(3), 225-233. doi: 10.1188/13.ONF.40-03AP2 (invited)
Polovich, M., & Clark, P. C. (2012). Factors influencing oncology nurses’ use of hazardous drug safe handling precautions. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39(3), E1-11. (refereed)
Jacobson, J. O., Polovich, M., Gilmore, T. R., Schulmeister, L., Esper, P., LeFebvre, K. B., & Neuss, M. N. (2012). Revisions to the 2009 American Society of Clinical Oncology/ Oncology Nursing Society chemotherapy administration safety standards: Expanding the scope to include inpatient settings. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39(1), 31-38. doi: 10.1188/12.ONF.31-38 (invited)
Polovich, M., & Martin, S. (2011). Nurses’ Use of Hazardous Drug-Handling Precautions and Awareness of National Safety Guidelines. Oncology Nursing Forum, 38(6), 718-726. doi: 10.1188/11.ONF.718-726 (refereed)
Polovich, M. & Gieseker, K.E. (2011). Occupational hazardous drug exposure among non-oncology nurses. Medsurg Nursing, 20(2): 79-85, 97. (refereed)
Polovich, M. (2015). Prevention of errors and patient safety: oncology nurses’ perspectives. Clinical Oncology and Error Reduction (pp. 65-86). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Polovich, M. & Gullatte, M.M. (2014). Principles and standards of chemotherapy administration. In M. M. Gullatte (Ed.), Clinical guide to antineoplastic therapy: A chemotherapy handbook (3rd Ed.). Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
Polovich, M. Olsen, M., & LeFebvre, K. (2014). Chemotherapy and biotherapy guidelines and recommendations for practice (fourth ed.). Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
Polovich, M. (Ed.). (2011). Safe handling of hazardous drugs (2nd ed.). Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
Selected Professional Presentations
Title Organization Type Date Minimizing Occupational Exposure to Antineoplastic Agents: Tarragona, Spain Spanish Oncology Nursing Society Invited Lecture May 2015 Safe Handling: Implementing Evidence-Based Standards: Orlando, FL Oncology Nursing Society Pre-Congress Session April 2015 Are We Truly Working in a Safe Environment with Hazardous Drugs?: Hamburg, Germany European Association of Hospital Pharmacists Invited Lecture March 2015 Implementing Best Practices: What Works to Protect Health Care Workers: Seattle, WA University of Washington Invited Lecture September 2014 Hazardous Drug Safety: Recommendations & Barriers: Washington, DC Congressional Briefing Congressional Briefing March 2014 Chemotherapy Safe Handling:
Duke Oncology Nursing Research Center of Excellence Invited Lecture March 2013 Safe Handling of Hazardous Drugs, Kanazawa, Japan Japanese Society of Cancer Nurses Invited lecture February 2013 ONS & NIOSH Guidelines on Safe Handling of Anti-Cancer Drugs: Bangkok, Thailand Asian Pacific Oncology Pharmacy Society
Polovich, M & Clark, P C 2009-2011 Oncology Nursing Foundation Small Grants Program Nurses’ Use of Hazardous Drug Safe Handling Precautions (Total $9,555)
Role: Principle Investigator
- Oncology Nursing Society: Member since 1985
- New Orleans Oncology Nurses chapter member, 1985-1987
- Western New York Chapter member, 1987-1993, (Vice President, 1990-1992)
- Metro Atlanta Chapter member 1993-2007, 2013-present (President, 1998)
- Southern Crescent Oncology Nurses Chapter member 2005-2007, (President 2005-2006)
- Triangle Oncology Nurses Chapter member, 2007-2013
- ONS Chemotherapy Special Interest Group, 2000-present, Coordinator 2013-2016
- Society of Gynecologic Nurse Oncologists member, 1999-2010
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists member, 1999-2004
- American Nurses Association member, 1974-1980, 2005-present
- Sigma Theta Tau International member, 2007 – present
- Southern Nursing Research Society member, 2006 – present
- Reviewer: NIOSH Report: A Vapor Containment Performance Protocol for Closed System Transfer Devices used During Pharmacy Compounding and Administration of Hazardous Drugs (January, 2015)
- Member, Leadership Pathways Development Team, Oncology Nursing Society, (2014-2015)
- Reviewer: Japanese Society of Hospital Pharmacists Guidelines on Safe Handling of Hazardous Drugs (2013)
- Member, Expert Panel on Hazardous Drugs, United States Pharmacopeia (2012-2015)
- Member, Technical Expert Panel, Outpatient Chemotherapy Standards, Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services, (2011-2013)
- Member, ASCO/ONS Chemotherapy Safety Standards Steering Committee (2008-present)
- Member, NIOSH Hazardous Drug Review Panel, (2008-present)
- ONS Liaison to NIOSH Hazardous Drug Safe Handling Working Group, (2000-2007)
- ONS Foundation scholarship review team, (2000-2005)