1977 Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois BSN
1984 University of Evansville, Evansville, Indiana MSN
1991 University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama PhD
Clinical: Neonatal and Pediatric Critical Care and Assessment of Youth with Developmental Disabilities; Nursing Administration
Research: Pediatric Health Care, Cardiovascular Risks in Adolescents with Diabetes or Obesity (cardiorespiratory fitness, heart rate variability, exercise intervention); Self-management; Family Influences in Pediatric Chronic Illness
- Betz, C., Cowell, J. M., Faulkner, M. S., Feeg, V., Greenberg, C. S., Krajicek, M. J., Lipman, T. H., Lobo, M., Nehring, W. M., Craft-Rosenberg, M., & Vessey, J. A. (2016). Advancing the development of the guidelines for the nursing of children, adolescents and families: 2014 revision: Process and development. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 30 (3), 284-288. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2015.11.003
- Findley, M. K., Cha, E., Wong, E., & Faulkner, M. S. (2015). A systematic review of transitional care for emerging adults with diabetes or prediabetes. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 30(5):e47-62. PMID: 2616441 PMCID: PMC4567467
- Downs, C. A. & Faulkner, M. S. (2015). Toxic stress, inflammation and symptomatology of chronic complications in diabetes. World Journal of Diabetes. 6(4):554-65. PMID: 25987953 PMCID:PMC4434076
- Han, Y., Faulkner, M. S., Fritz, H., Fadoju, D., Muir, A., Abowd, G. D., Head, L. & Arriaga, R. I. (2015). A pilot randomized trial of text-messaging for symptom awareness and diabetes knowledge in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 30(6):850-61. PMID:25720675 PMCID:PMC4546930
- Faulkner, M. S., Michaliszyn, S. F., Hepworth, J. T., & Wheeler, M. D. (2014). Personalized exercise for adolescent with diabetes or obesity. Biological Research in Nursing, 16(1) 46-54. doi:10.1177/1099800413500064 PMID:23965300
- Haw, J. S., Faulkner, Findley, M. K., Cha, E. S., Faulkner, M.S. Khan, F., Markley, S., Alexopoulos, A.S., Paul, S., & Ali, M.K. M. S., Ali. (2016, June) Hyperglycemic Emergencies in Young Adults with Diabetes in an Inner-City County Hospital. Poster presentation at the 76th American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA.
- Michaliszyn, S., F., Higgins, M., & Faulkner, M.S. (May, 2016). Longitudinal Patterns of Physical Activity Using a Personalized Intervention for Adolescents with Diabetes or Obesity. Poster presentation at the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Faulkner, M. S., Quinn, L., & Fritschi, C. (November, 2015). Heart Rate Variability and Cardiovascular Fitness are Lower in Non-Hispanic Black versus Non-Hispanic White Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Poster presentation at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Orlando, FL.
- Faulkner, M. S. (2013, September). Instilling a Culture of Interprofessional Leadership through Education and Practice Immersion, Healthcare Innovation Symposium VI: Best Practices Supporting Interdisciplinary Innovation in Academic Health Centers, Emory University.
- Faulkner, M. S. (2013, June). Navigating the research process: Benchmarks for success in pediatrics. Keynote presentation for Nursing Research Symposium, Connecticut Children’s Hospital, Hartford, CT.
Narayan, PI (P30 grant, National Institute of Digestive, Diabetes and Kidney Diseases, funded September 2016; Faulkner, M. S., Co-Investigator and Pilot and Feasibility Program Director). Georgia Diabetes Translation Research Center.
American Academy of Nursing
American Nurses Association
Sigma Theta Tau International American Diabetes Association American Heart Association
American College of Sports Medicine
Child and Family Expert Panel, American Academy of Nursing
Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism
Biological Research in Nursing
Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing
Journal of Family Nursing
Journal of Pediatric Nursing
MCN: The Journal of Maternal and Child Nursing
Research in Nursing and Health
World Journal of Diabetes
Diabetes Research & Clinical Practice Western Journal of Nursing Research Diabetic Medicine
Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications
Awards and Honors
Who’s Who in American Nursing
Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare
Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
Visionary Leader Award, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Nursing 60th Anniversary Celebration